This page has moved to a new address.

Broadening Horizons

Brand New Hoosier: Broadening Horizons

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Broadening Horizons

Polenta may not be new to you, but my family has never tried it. I had some in the fridge and brought it home with me when I visited the fam.  It was just me, mom, and Jenn because dad and Allison were at the Brooks & Dunn concert (so jealous). Instead of going out, I decided to pull out the polenta I brought and make some sauce.  While me and Jenn were out earlier, we picked up some good jalepeno and cheddar bread from Whole Foods. 


For the sauce I used 1 tsp olive oil to saute some onion, green and orange bell pepper, and garlic.  Then I put in a can of stewed tomatoes. When all that was heated through, I poured it all in a blender and pulsed it a few times to chop up the tomatoes and make the veggies a little finer.


While I was doing that, I cut the polenta into slices that were probably 1/2 inch thick and "fried" them in a cast iron pan with 1 tsp oil.  When the polenta slices were done, I removed them all and put slices of the bread (sprayed with cooking spray) in the pan and let them crisp up.  We dipped the bread in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 


Overall, the dinner was full of veggies and the polenta was pretty low-cal too! The bread was delish and we had the leftovers grilled with tonight's dinner! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home