This page has moved to a new address.

Food Experiments

Brand New Hoosier: Food Experiments

Monday, June 28, 2010

Food Experiments

Well, as I type this, "Huge" on ABC Family just finished up. It is a show with an awful plot about overweight teens at a weight-loss camp. Well, I thought it was awful at the beginning, but the very last 60 seconds proved me wrong. I'm going to give it another chance.


I didn't have a chance to post Friday because I waited until the last minute to pack for my weekend trip to Chicago and was running late for class. I packed some snacks in a crappy little cooler I got from a casino: I took some reduced fat cheese cup up real small to eat with Wheat Thins. I also took Z Clif Bars and almonds, but only ate the cheese and Wheat Thins. I spent the weekend with my good friend in a suburb of Chicago. We went shopping Saturday and hit up Ann Taylor Loft which was having a sale of 40% off the whole store. I could have bought one of everything in there...but I had to limit myself to a t-shirt, skirt and scarf. It was fun to shop there and have the clothes fit much better this time around!  I headed home to Indianapolis Sunday to spend the night with my family. My dad cooked an elaborate meal, but actually kept it fairly healthy! I was going to take pictures, but that didn't happen.  I stopped at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods before heading back to school for the week.
Today I sampled many of my "finds."  I got some Edamame hummus from TJ's. I wasn't sure how it would taste, but it is amazing. It is so flavorful and tasted great with cucumber slices.  It's a little higher in fat than the other variations of hummus, but if I stick with 2 tbsp's, then it's only 2 pts.  My tennis class was cancelled so I had time to work on a "fancy" lunch. I had picked up the Hungry Girl's favorite product, Tofu Shiritaki Noodles. I had read that they kind of smell bad, but I wasn't prepared for it! It was pretty bad. I rinsed them, dried them, and microwaved them. All of that treatment helped with the smell. I made the alfredo recipe on the bag but had to use goat cheese instead of cream cheese since I was out. I cooked up red and yellow peppers, onion, mushrooms, and a chicken sausage and mixed it into the alfredo (bottom right).   Overall it wasn't bad, but I don't think I will be trying those noodles again.  For dinner I had a serving and a half of potato gnocchi (bottom left). I had never tried it before, and I was craving carbs (real ones, not fake tofu ones!) so I cooked these up. I added some pizza sauce, mixed in a Laughing Cow cheese spread, and topped it with reduced fat shredded cheese. The whole bowl was 8 pts and I was pretty full when I finished it.


I got in a trip to the gym. After  a weekend of basically no exercising and excessive drinking I HAD to get my butt in there. It felt a little harder than usual, but it felt good when I finished the entire hour (I almost stopped early).  I really have to get it in gear for my 4-mile run that is this coming Saturday. My dad and I will be running it and I want to get a decent time. For me, a decent time is running all the miles at less than 13min/mile. My goal is to keep reducing this time per mile for each race I run.


Well congrats if you made it through all that! I've gotta get to sleep so I can go running outside before it gets hot and sunny.


p.s. I am borrowing my mom's camera this week so I will be practicing my food photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home