This page has moved to a new address.

Squash aka My Pizza Crust

Brand New Hoosier: Squash aka My Pizza Crust

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Squash aka My Pizza Crust

A long time ago I saw on a blog where someone used squash and some other goodies to make a super low cal pizza crust. This sounds impossible, so I was skeptical.   I've had a couple of spaghetti squashes sitting on the kitchen counter for a little while, awaiting the perfect recipe (and enough time to cook them).

Instead of going to the gym tonight, I'm eating a little lighter and I'm going to do pilates here at home.  I skipped my family's dinner of chicken and cheese wrapped in tortillas topped with salsa and more cheese so I could try this new recipe.  I halved the recipe to make my squash pizza dough and then used some stuff I had in the fridge for toppings.


Toppings include:
-Roasted red pepper spread (low-cal and from TJ's)
-Herbed goat cheese (also from TJ's)
-Sliced tomatoes from our mini garden
-Small sprinkle of low-moisture shredded mozzerella
-Extra chicken pieces not use in the fam's dinner (obviously can be omitted for a veggie pizza)

The verdict: SOOOO good! The red pepper spread adds so much flavor that you don't even need much cheese. I made a half recipe and ate half of what I made and I am so full. The other half I'm taking to work tomorrow. Hopefully that will keep me fuller than today's lunch did.

On the topic of today's lunch...I kinda ran out of time this morning to make a good lunch so I just grabbed some pasta salad and some lettuce leaves too eat with the pasta salad. I also brought a WW string cheese and a little bag of almonds I had pre-bagged when I bought the big bag.  I thought  this would keep me full. False. I was starving a few hours later. I hit a WALL at about 2:30. My eyelids felt heavy and it was really hard to concentrate. I'll chalk it up to a poorly planned lunch and staying up past my bedtime (11:30! yikes).  To help make tomorrow a little less painful than today, I'm going to bed early so I can get closer to 8 hours of sleep and I've already made the main part of my lunch (squash pizza!) so I don't have to worry about it.  Should be smooth sailin in the morning.

Here are a few more foodie pics for meal ideas:
 microwaved oats, pear, Puffins, tsp melted coconut buttah
 Shredded zucchini, bacon bits (oh yeaa), "bam cheese," cherry tomatoes
Chicken sausage, roasted cherry tomatoes, zucchini shreds, slivers of "bam" cheese  
(bam cheese = cheese that makes your mouth go "bam" according to my 7 yr old sister)

 TJ's mixed grains + roasted cherry tomatoes + feta + red onion + roasted zucchini + red wine vinegar
 Korean mellon from the Lincoln Park farmers' market
(sweet, but not too sweet. just perfect)
Mediterranean Chicken: Cook Yourself Thin recipe

Ok, I feel better. I'm all caught up on my food pics.  Hopefully they can help with meal ideas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home